Wednesday Evening

Dear Folks:
It is almost too dark to write. Well I found a candle. I never thought I would ever write a letter by candle light but have done so several times now and this is the last letter I will have the opportunity of writing is this camp.

We are leaving for Camp Merritt, New Jersey in the morning and very soon will be on the water on our way to France.

I talked to a man that is in Don's division and the 159th is on it's way to France and so I will have no chance to look Don up until I get over on the other side and then it will be just an accident if I get to see him.

I am surely glad that we are on the move. I know you are going to worry but you may rest assured that I will take the best care possible of myself physically and morally and I will return in possession of my self respect and able to look my mother and my sweetheart in the face - of that you may rest assured.

I am starting to France with $2.65 - no three sixty-five - now what do you think of that? Clifford Clark and I have eight eighty five between us ($8.85). We will be on the boat about fourteen days I think and in the event we fail to get our pay for a month Grant is going to be in pretty close circumstances so I am going to ask one last request and it will be the last one along this line. Do you think you could send me ten dollars? Now if you can't I don't want you to try but I will surely appreciate it to the uttermost. If you can do so don't send a draft or cash but go into Dey Middlesworth's and get what is called a travelers check. They are issued in denominations of ten dollars - one of them will be enough. Dey will know what I mean. They can be cashed anywhere and they don't seem to want us to take American money over with us.

All the company has changed their money into French money. Cliff and I have 50 Francs - a Franc is equal to seventeen or twenty cents and the fifty francs amount to eight eighty five. I should be there to sign the travelers check but I can sign it when it reaches me which no doubt will take a month at least as the mails will be slow over there until we are well located but it will reach me all right and I know it won't reach me in time at Camp Merritt as we will be there but a short time.

I have taken up a lot of time and space asking for the ten dollars. If it doesn't reach me in time I can borrow from some of the boys but I rather hesitate to do that. I will be very grateful for the raise.

I will make out my allotment just as soon as I find out how much we draw when across, and all that is left I will allot to either you or Dad and you can pay it on my note. Don't forget that it is a travelers check and not a draft or bill.

I will get to write again before we go I think as we will be at Camp Merritt at least a day.

You can address me as you had Don's -
Musician Grant L. Hayes
351st Inf. Band, H.D. Co.
A.E.F. % Postmaster
New York City
and be sure and have your return address on it.

Now you will get a card soon after we are across telling you that I have arrived safely and don't get worried if you don't hear from me for a month as I will be all right and if anything is wrong the Government will be sure to notify you.
Grant