Atlantic Ocean

Dear Folks:
You will no doubt be quite surprised when I tell you this. My fingers are so numb with cold that I can hardly write. I know how hot it must be there at home but it is cold enough here to have our coats and heavy overcoats on. It has been misting a little most of the morning and it is a cold mist too.

When this is mailed I will have landed somewhere as it will be mailed at the place we land. We are yet some three days from landing at least. I think we are but where we are going I haven't the slightest idea except that it won't be directly to France. We might land eventually in Russia, France, Belgium Italy, or anywhere.

Have enjoyed the trip very much and the sight of water everywhere hasn't grown as tiresome as I had anticipated. We have much to occupy our time with (censored), chess games, boxing, reading and last, but really the most enjoyable of all - smoking. I bought a cob pipe for a thin dime and a can of Tuxedo and manage to enjoy it all. Was a trifle sea sick for the second, third and fourth days out but we have had a quiet sea and I feel fine this morning. Some of the men on the boat are quite sick. Sweet stuff seems to have a tendency to make one sick while pickles, cheese and lemons seem to hit the very spot.

(censored) personally feel that we are in little danger - or at least no one seems to worry at all. The men seem a happy contented lot and I guess it is best that way.

I would like very much to land in England and stay there a few weeks and then I can't wait to go down to Italy - but who knows where we will land.

We sleep in hammocks and they are far more comfortable than I had supposed they would be. I go to be about seven thirty or eight and we are up about five thirty. We get cheated out of a half hour of sleep each morning because we have to turn up our watches a half hour each morning. I think we turn our watches on about eight hours on the whole trip. I never thought in years that I would ever get to take a European trip as Aunt Kate says.

Our mail is all censored now. After we get off the boat and into camp our mail goes free but I have to use stamps during the time we are on the boat because I want this letter to reach you as soon as possible and this way it will reach you a week earlier.

Think I will close now as we can mail these letters only between eleven and twelve each morning.

Now don't worry too much over me. I feel fine and will get along in great shape. It is for you folks to take the best care possible that you may not cause me untold worry and grief by your getting sick as you know I am several hours and miles away with very little chance of getting back until we have cleaned up over here.
Love,
Grant

Grant L. Hayes
351st Infantry Band
Headquarters G
American Ex. Forces
via New York, N.Y.
Be sure and write out the American as A.E.F. also stands for Australian.
Will write as soon as possible.