August 12, 1918 Postmarked Hempstead, New York

Monday Eve. Seven o'clock

Believe I agreed to write again this evening and since I had your letter of August 8th addressed to me at Camp Dodge, I'll write some more.

There are a good many rumors around the camp as to when we are leaving but none of them are authentic or official and I have ceased to place any credence in any of them. However, I feel pretty sure that we are to go soon. I rather think that we will embark from another camp near here but of course I do not know.

We have been receiving issued clothes and things this afternoon and it has kept us right here at the camp. Cliff and I aren't going to ask the Captain for a leave this evening. It would do no good as they will be issuing things up until about ten o'clock. Bess and Cliff's wife will be waiting over at the Hostess House for us but I fear they wait in vain tonight. We haven't any chance to telephone them either but if we get through before ten o'clock I think we will try and go over.

By this time you should have had at least three letters and especially all of those that were written while we were on board the train and headed toward the camp. I think you should have a letter or two from me that were mailed from the camp also.

Am getting along in great shape. Never felt better in all my life and am telling the truth about it. Have good bunks and get plenty of good sleep every night.

One of the things that was issued today was what is called an Emergency Ration. It consists of four boxes of Hard Tack and a can of Corned Beef. The can of corned beef is about four by five by three. The five packages are pretty heavy and bulky too. I was also issued an overcoat.

Had a letter from Deva today. It was written about the same time that yours was and reached here in the same mail.

It tried to rain this afternoon and did a little but is almost clear now. The air-planes are out in full force this evening. It is quite a show to watch them.

Hope Harry Helzel is going to stick.

Have had three inspections today. We are called out every once in a while for one.
Grant