September (censored), 1918

Dear Folks:
Whether this date is correct I don't know for sure but it is Sunday and we have had the entire day to ourselves. Have been sleeping nearly all day long.

Well mother, I have at last had mail from you and you may be sure that nothing could have pleased me more. I have had fifteen letters during the past two days and all from you, Deva, Merritt, one from Lila, and one from the Dean of the Law College. I am sorry that Dad has been troubled with one of those ferocious bunyons or what ever it is and surely hope you both will do everything possible to keep yourself in the best of health so I will have no occasion to worry over your health.

I am still getting along fine and feel in the best of health although I am losing some good fat - that is quite natural as strenuous training and climatic changes are responsible for that. I feel better for the reduction in waist line and you will say that I never looked better when you see me walk down the village street next fourth of July. That is the time I have set in my own mind that I will be home. Of course it might be sooner or it might be years later - who ever can tell. Pershing is credited with the remark "Heaven, Hell, or Hoboken, New Jersey by Christmas." Of course it can't end too soon for any of us. You know I am keen on getting home in time to beat the tar out of my old Democrat friend George Barton for County Attorney. I would rather have Frank Lewis to beat but I guess it doesn't make any difference. Know I can get it. It would have been mine this time if this World War hadn't butted in. But as the men would say, "What is a mere county Prosecutor to a whole World War."

Have been advanced to the rank of Sergeant and am mighty well pleased over it. I would much rather have it than a Second Lieutenant. It really pays more in that one has all clothes issued and board and room furnished and Band Sergeant pays $44.00 plus a 20 percent increase based on the old standard and the old standard a Sergeant drew $36.00 I think so you are 20% of that which is $7.20 and plus $44.00 amounts to $51.20. But aside from the pecuniary advantage I am pleased with it. I will sent the warrant home later on as I have no place to carry it. except in my clarinet case.

It is almost supper time and I think I will cease. It is still raining again and if it keeps it up I am going to miss supper rather than go out and get wet.

We go to bed at about eight o'clock and often at seven thirty. The town is small and there is nothing to do so we get plenty of sleep.

Oh yes, I received the draft and you don't know how I appreciate it. I was flat broke as we haven't had a pay day for two months but will be paid soon and I also received the little compass. I enjoyed receiving both. I needed both.
Must close as it is supper time.
Grant