September (censored), 1918

Dear Folks:
Am very shy on stationary so you must content yourself with a rather short letter for which I am truly sorry since there is so much to write about.

In the first place I feel fine. I had a real sleep last night and it is almost the first real sleep I have had since we started on our long journey.

We came to this place but a short time ago and I only wish that you could see it. It is one of those quaint old French towns and incidentally it dates from the 12th Century. You can readily see that it is very old. It is built on top of a big hill and it seemed as high as Pike's Peak when we climbed it with our packs. The village has gates just like one reads about and they are closed I suppose at night. We were met at the gates by some very stately old gentlemen, presumably the town's Mayor and the city fathers and they gave us a royal welcome. The French are so utterly different from the English. Those British seem to think they are the real cream of the earth and are bending their unusually stiff backs to welcome one while the French give us a welcome that is a real welcome.

I hope we stay here for some time as I have had plenty of travel for a while. It will give us a chance to get a good rest even though we will have quite a little to do in the way of playing and drilling.

I have received no mail since leaving (censored) and probably won't get any for a month yet but am looking forward to quite a little of it when it does come.

A recent order from Pershing provides that Bands will do no letter bearing or hospital mails except in cases of extreme necessity. It is order 390.
Love,
Grant