September (censored), 1918


Dear Folks:
Will not write a very long letter as we are powerfully busy and I just want to advise you of the very interesting fact that your youngest born is feeling fine - in fact have never been in better health nor had less.

But we have signed the pay roll and will be paid in a very few days now. We are all looking forward to that no doubt we will be paid in French money and they use mostly paper money. It is printed on rather cheap looking paper and it tears quite readily. Nearly every province issues money and it isn't good in other provinces as one has to watch out that he doesn't get it in change. Of course that hasn't bothered me much as I haven't had a whole lot of change. We will get two months pay this time.

Rather think I should have some mail in soon as I haven't had any for a few days.

Moeller and I are still up here at Regimental Headquarters but don't know how much longer we are to be here.

Leo was just in here with a message. It makes it nice to have several around that one knew before. There are several in the Company that I knew before. See Hi Burch every day. I feel sorry for him - being married and so far away from his wife. Well it is war and he shouldn't have gotten married. Of course, he didn't do it to get out of the war.

Had my sweet and succulent beans for dinner today and you know how I love the lovely bean. We had a sort of a meat stew along with it and of course bread and coffee. It was very good.

Did I tell you about the 24 hour watches these peculiar Frenchies use? The dial represents the entire twenty four hours and they speak of 23 o'clock. Don't think much of it.

Don't worry over me a moment. Feel fine.
Grant