Jarny, France February 9, 1919

Dear Folks:
'Tis Sunday and I haven't been up so very long but I am not at all sorry even though I have a nice little headache as a result. It is about eleven o'clock.

Being a perfectly healthy youngster I am beastly hungry. If I were home mother you know what I would be saying even though I had just finished bacon and eggs and a good shredded wheat biscuit with honest cream - "When will dinner be ready" and as usual I would keep it up until about twelve thirty when we would finally have dinner. But here I am farther away from home than ever. Just take a look at your map - we are about sixty kilometers from Luxembourg and only twenty from Metz and I think we are pulling out this afternoon for a town nearer Germany than the town of Jarny. I hope so. We are away from the torn up part of France. The railroad yards here were bombed by American air men and three or four houses are in ruins. The rest of the town is all right. The signs on the stores and the directions on sign boards are all German.

The people here speak German fluently as well as their own tongue French. The Germans held this town all through the war - until a short time before the Armistice was signed.

We did not go to Toul from St. Mihiel as we thought we would but we went due north of St. Mihiel and east.

I wish I knew where Don and Merritt are. I don't doubt but that I could get to them if only I knew where they are. I mean Merritt Seward.

I suppose Frank Wilson is up in Germany. The 5th Division is there and he is in that Division. I ran onto a 40th Division man the other day in Verdun but he didn't know where the 159th Inf. was. The infantry regiments of his Division were sent to other divisions.

We certainly like this place. We eat, sleep, and show in the same building. The Bosche surely had this fixed up fine. They have a regular theatre in this building and a big basketball court also. They used this for a hospital. It is a great building made of concrete throughout. Everything is German about it and it is far superior to anything the French make.

Have had quite a cold but am quite well over it by now. Have plenty of clothes and am getting along fine. I would like to have a little mail though but suppose I won't get any until I get back to our company unless it is forwarded to us. Some papers reached me at St. Mihiel though.

It is nearly dinner time and as I said before I am hungry.

Sent some postcards of St. Mihiel a few days ago and am mailing some of this town and the towns near here.
Grant