France October 1918

Dear Folks:
Have been trying to write this letter all day and now that the rush of business is over for a few minutes I think that I will get to finish this. Here is hoping as I want to write you about the one Christmas package that I am entitled to receive.

We are entitled to receive one Christmas package and the size of same is 9 by 4 by 3 and its weight is not to exceed three pounds. I know that you will be disappointed in the event that you have made me anything and are planning on sending it. It will have to wait until I can get an order for it from the Colonel and we can get such orders only in the event the articles are not procurable here. Well to go on with the Christmas stuff. We are issued a little slip which I am enclosing to you and you have to paste it on the box which you will get to fit the exact size as that size only will be accepted at Hoboken, N.J. I am enclosing the little slip to you in this letter properly addressed. I have done a whole lot of thinking about what to ask you to send. There isn't a thing I want with the single exception of some candy. I will appreciate a three pound box of home made candy and I really prefer fudge to anything else that I can think of.

In the event that you can get the sugar to make the stuff with and in the event you are unable to get the sugar it might be a good stunt to get Hershey bars - those flat chocolate bars that do not take up so very much room in the packing. If you do that be sure and take off the wrapping so that you can get in the very last one possible. I assure you that I prefer the home made variety in the event that it is possible to get the sugar. I wrote Merritt about sending me a fountain pen but have heard nothing from him although I imagine I haven't had quite time enough to do that. Now I can't have but one package so you and Deva will necessarily have to get together and both of you make the stuff or you turn the making over to Deva and then you two can get it ready and I will consider that it came from you both. If you should have anything else for me already or before you get this letter rather please save it for me as I will be home some of these days and will have a little Christmas party all my own. It is impossible to send it over and there is always danger of it being lost. I hope the candy gets here better than the strawberries that Deva sent me at Camp Dodge. I accused the mail man of stealing them but he emphatically denied it the other day so I guess we will have to fix the responsibility on someone else.

Now that is everything that I want for my Christmas except of course I would like to be there to spend it with you but perhaps I can celebrate the grand and glorious fourth of July with you and have all the fried chicken there is in Ringgold County and don't forget the liver. You will always remember how well I always liked the liver.

So much for the little Christmas package. I will be allowed but one and if you think of something better than fudge or chocolate of some kind send it along. I will leave it to you. The little slip which I am enclosing and which you are to paste on to the box will explain about everything there is to it.

Am enclosing a little poem that is a peach and surely represents the truth concerning traveling in France. The title is "Hommes 40 - Chevaux 8." It means 40 men or 8 horses. That is painted on the side of the box cars and the cars are very small too. The word "bull" refers to canned beef and we call if Bull beef. Five centimes represents a cent in our money. With that I think you will appreciate the poem about as much as I have although you have not had the pleasure of the ride and that is a whole lot I assure you. It was a very comfortable and very interesting ride. However I am enclosing the poem which I copied from the "Stars and Stripes" - the official army publication here. It is quite good and represents the truth.

Had a good supper tonight. It consisted of good bread, good roast beef, gravy and kidney beans. Of course we had coffee along with it. It tasted very good to me and to say the least I was hungry as we have been pegging into it in good shape this whole day long.

Think this is quite a letter and I had not intended to write so much when I started out, so I will close now.

Good night,
Grant