France October 1918

Dear Folks:
Am perched on top of my bunk writing and am using a music pouch for a table but I'm sure you care not how I write it just so the letters reach you. I think you will have had a good many letters from me by this time as I have received several from you and a few just three or four days ago. We are liable to get some more mail very soon as it is about time for it again. I will glance over your letters now and see if there are any questions to be answered before I forget it.

Just noticed in the last bunch of mail a letter from you dated August 29 and that you had just received my card advising you of my safe arrival, but I have letters from you dated Sept. 11, 13th and 19th and have had letters from Deva dated Sept. 11, 19 and 20. The letter of the 20th came through in excellent time - about three weeks.

You speak about the Board having a time securing good teachers. I am not at all surprised and until they change things considerably they will continue to have just such a time. I don't approve of those youngsters although it is fine for them to get in so easily. I do hope they get along well though.

I know Ike and Ivan will enjoy the drive to Des Moines and no doubt they are planning on having Mona there to meet them from her school.

It is very unfortunate for Pearl Robins that Tom is so confounded tight or Pearl might have been well on the road to recovery long before this, but as to Mrs. Fuller going east instead of south you must remember that she is a German. I would like to see Harry and intend to write him some time very soon.

I want Deva to go to school and I surely hope it can be arranged. My worthy "Bill" is certainly more than able to send her and never mind what it takes. It would mean much to her and also to me. I'll leave it to you mother.

Did Hen Wilson sell the big National? He will go into a ditch as sure as the deuce.

I will be very pleased to receive the Record News but have received none of them yet. The "Hun" paper is the best of all. I think of Sam every once in a while when I try to read these beastly French papers. We get foreign editions of the New York and Chicago papers but they are a day behind time and have very little in them but war news.

So R.C. Smith had to register? That amuses me and I imagine Mrs. R.C. has a vision of losing her man right away. Well he will be writing insurance when I get home.

Thought I would have those package blanks today but will get them tomorrow (Monday).

The French band gives a concert at three o'clock and it is almost that time and I want to hear them so will close.
Grant