Houdelaincourt, France December 26, 1918

Dear Folks:
Think my pen is almost out of ink but perhaps it will work a while at least and then it can always be filled. Lost a few of those ink tablets but have some of them left and then we can always get ink at the Salvation Army or at one of the YMCA Huts.

We lived up the morning, marched three miles and had a shower bath. What do you think of walking six miles in all to get a little five or ten minute bath? It is just as though I were to walk down to the tank or a little farther, stand under the spout and then walk back. Well, the water was good and hot though.

I also got my shoes half-soled and heels put on the shoes at this supply company's work shop. This pair needed it too. Now I am well shod and don't care about the water. You know the U.S. soldiers call the French soldiers "frogs." They are well named. It is raining here all the time and they seem at home so I guess they should be called frogs.

Have been trying to remember whether I wrote you yesterday or not. I wrote Deva but can't seem to remember whether I wrote you or not. We had a good dinner yesterday, played a short concert in the snow and then had the rest of the time off and to ourselves. I turned in early and got some good sleep that I should have had the night before.

There is a lot of noise in here so I will write again tomorrow.
Grant