Houdelaincourt, France December 23, 1918

Dear Folks:
Am writing with a pen from now on as my Christmas package came this morning and you may be sure that it was a very welcome present. I was so afraid the box wouldn't get here as the condition of the mails is anything but good. It came through in fine shape and you may be sure that I appreciate the Christmas remembrance and it will help to add cheer to my first Christmas away from home. I am powerfully thankful for the fact that I am enjoying the best of health along with it and you must not worry a moment over me. I will be home some day and I hope soon. I will write Mrs. Butler, Ike and Dey Middlesworth a letter this afternoon or tomorrow and express my appreciation for the Christmas gifts.

Needless to say Miss Sweetheart will receive her letters also as she has one go out from here every day or very nearly every day.

Dad, I was as pleased as I was surprised to receive a letter from you and as your letters always are - it was a "dinger." You might repeat it as it doesn't take long. It is the fifth one I have ever received from you. Now what do you think of that?

The candy was broken some but you know that doesn't hurt it at all. I found the handkerchiefs, pen, ink tablets, Mentholatum, cigars and cake and it pleases me more and more. I will divide the candy with Cliff as he divided his with me. We divide almost everything that we have. When he is broke I help him and he me. I am not broke by a whole lot and haven't been since the first pay day. I don't intend to go broke as I have a place for what I can freeze onto. Things are powerfully high in France. My wants are few but it takes quite a little bit at that.

I know you would like to know when we are going home. To tell the truth I don't know. We all think that we are merely awaiting transportation. We have heard that our artillery has gone home. They haven't been with us since we left Camp Dodge. We had French artillery while in action.

Have never told you that we ever were in action but since you have read about it in the paper I may as well just say that I know how it feels to have big shells sing overhead and around my ears and how it feels to have shrapnel fall all around and to hear machine gun bullets zip along. I never felt as though I was in any danger though. I will give you a detailed account of it when I get home. I can only thank God that we didn't reach the Toul-Metz sector any sooner than we did. It surely saved our bacon. We were just a day late to get in on the end in real active service. Well, it is all over and if I keep my health - and I am pretty healthy - I will be home as soon as the rest of our Division.

I wore a forty-four coat when I entered the service. Now I wear a forty with comfort. My trousers were thirty eights and now I wear thirty fours. You can see what eighteen mile marches with a seventy five pound pack will do. But it surely has taken off excess weight and hardened my muscles.

I am starting to quit swearing as I don't want to shock the good natives when I get home.

Price is surely lucky. I don't think they ever saw action although I wouldn't be at all positive about that. I think Don no doubt has seen some action as his Division was broken to fill other regiments. It was what we call a Re-Placement Division.

Had three letters from Deva too so you see I fared well.

We have a full week of it ahead. We are showing every night somewhere. Tomorrow night we show for the General and his staff of officers.

Will write again tomorrow if I can find a moments time. We will rehearse most of the morning and then leave at two o'clock for Gondecourt where we show. I will look dad's letter over again tomorrow and if there were any questions I will answer them then.
Grant